Friday, March 18, 2011

Yeast problems of the baking kind

I dread recipes that call for yeast. Having the end result of my efforts depend on whether a colony of mushrooms thrives or not irks and worries me. Much like my control freak frustration in relation to other people, I am here irritated that my success is dependent on a factor I can only soothe and persuade, but not control.

However, if I want to become skilled in the kitchen, I will have to put myself out there and depend on this ingredient from time to time.

Luckily, today's yeast-baking project went well and I have made my first fully self-made bread (I've previously helped my grandmother bake bread, with her as the supervisor). It was a little underdone, though with a nice, crisp crust. I'll probably put it in the oven for a little after-baking tomorrow. Even so, it was tasty (and audibly moist) with butter and I have prepared a second dough for baking tomorrow.

No comments: