Thursday, March 17, 2011

Civilization IV (a computer game I love)

I still love Civilization IV. It's a wonderful turn-based strategy game with decent graphics, atmospheric music, and enjoyable gameplay. It has just the right amount of additions and editing to compete with my love for Civilization II.

Founding all of the world's religions (and having control over the income they generate through special buildings) is one of my favorite aspects. Too bad they removed it from Civilization V (which I have not yet tried or bought, partly due to its many negative reviews). Religion/philosophy is an integral part of human civilization, and, while I hadn't thought of it as a game mechanic in Civ's I-III, I have now grown attached to it and wish they had kept it in some form (maybe a hybridization between Civ IV's religion mechanic with Alpha Centauri's faction mechanic, which would have differentiated the religions game-wise and made them even more interesting).

The one major flaw it has, that I can think of at this moment, is the lack of a unit prototype mechanic. Alpha Centauri, another game I love, does a great job of allowing the player to customize units based off the the technology the player has gathered; the customization takes place through a prototype menu where the player can try out different chassis (frames), weapon and armor strengths, movement speeds, and special abilities and see how much each unit will cost to produce. It's similar to the unit customization menu in Master of Orion II, another great strategy game; it's odd and unfortunate that this gameplay mechanic seems to have been forgotten among game developers/producers.

No comments: