Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Was it "meta"?

I have read that Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino bombed at the roast of Donald Trump (LA Times' review) and in reading a couple of his jokes, I have to wonder: was it all "meta"?

The joke relating Snoop Dog to Trump is just so ridiculously unfunny (not in the way of cultural-historical sensitivity, but in that the claimed connection doesn't make a lick of sense), so awful that I could do little but laugh at the idea that someone wrote it and thought that it was funny. Which brought the idea to my mind: is that bit, the laughter at the expense of the joke-writer, the real joke? Is this a kind Andy Kauffman, brought to stage via our resident medium, The Situation? Brilliance through put-upon stupidity?

...while this probably isn't the case, I'd like to think it is, if only because it makes the world a slightly better place (something our world could desperately use right about now).

PS: Could this have been some kind of hazing or cruelty toward him on the part of the writers (assuming he used a writer and didn't write them himself)?

PPS: I will golf-clap that he went through the material he had and stood by and through his humiliation. I imagine that in his "damned, I'm naked in front of all of these people!" nightmares, he has the cajones to not panic and instead just enjoy his self-exhibition.

No comments: