Monday, March 07, 2011

Annexing my father's office

It has been about three weeks since I claimed my father's office as my new bedroom. I claimed it because my then-bedroom was the crappiest room in the house: it's the smallest room (barring my parents' bathroom) and it's tucked away in the basement, right by the entry to the garage. I've dubbed it the Cinderella room.

Unlike Cinderella, I was not content with simply doing my duties and hoping for an eventual improvement. I could also justify claiming my father's office as he himself just used it as a dumping ground for his stuff and let it look awful on a regular basis (this was a problem as the room is right next to the main entrance and is highly visible to guests that drop in for a visit). The big challenges were getting his office furniture out of the room, installing my "new" bed (a queen-size bed I hadn't used in years because my then-bedroom was too small), and setting up the treadmill next to the bed.

I was fortunate in not knowing how much worse it would be once I got the detail work. The initial claiming of the room and moving in the major furniture pieces were fairly easy compared to my current mass-sortation. In taking over my father's area, I think it's only right that I fully extract myself from what will now be his new office. However, this requires much more organizing than I originally thought. It's one thing to move and place a single, large piece of equipment/furniture and a completely other to go through mixed papers, books, drawer contents, and knick-knacks, sort them, and then pack them or place them throughout the room in a sensible manner. Currently I have some significant piles I need to go through as well as boxes filled with a variety of stuff I will not throw away.

Dealing with my stuff is a confrontation I'd enjoy to not have. It would be (or I fantasize that it would be) delightful to slim down my own room as I have done elsewhere in the house; there I packed much in boxes and set them out for storage. I do not have the same luxury in this case.

No comments: