Thursday, March 24, 2011

Age of Empires III preliminary

Why do real-time strategy developers remove features? One of my frustrations with Microsoft's Age of Empires III is that it lacks features I have gotten used to in other RTS game, specifically the unit orders to patrol, to defend (a unit or structure), and to move until a target for atttack is seen. These are seemingly simply orders for a game to have and provide a hint of tactics, yet AoE:III only has a move/attack order (if clicked on the ground, the unit moves; if clicked on a target, the unit attacks). This lack adds unpleasant stress as I have to continually move different groups of units with each other (I separate some units from others due to their long ranges as I don't want them to move up to close range with grouped close-range units).

Another feature I miss is the ability to steal/"convert" enemy units and buildings, a feature that hails back to the first Age of Empires. It's a fun ability as it opens for more variation in my building styles and units, so I don't understand why they removed it. They also neutered the ability to control game speed as the speed is set prior to starting a game, can't be changed during a game, and can't be changed at all for the single-player campaign.

The home city feature is fun and adds some customizability to the game, including the unnecessary, but slightly enjoyable decoration customization. As a whole, though, the game gives me pangs of missing Star Craft II.

No comments: